微信内可能无法直接打开本站。请点右上角 ··· → 在浏览器打开,或复制链接。
Monzo Chair Departs Following Last Year’s Shareholder Backlash
RSS 官方收录 · 可信分层展示
关键摘要
Monzo’s chairman is reportedly departing the British neobank months after shareholders lobbied for his removal.…
- Gary Hoffman, who joined Monzo in 2019, will leave his post next month…
- The report points out that Hoffman’s departure comes months after inve…
- Anil was replaced by Google veteran Diane Layfield in February, and ha…
摘要引擎:抽取
正文提要
Monzo’s chairman is reportedly departing the British neobank months after shareholders lobbied for his removal.
Gary Hoffman, who joined Monzo in 2019, will leave his post next month, the Financial Times reported Monday (Aug. 17).
The report points out that Hoffman’s departure comes months after investors last year called for his ouster after the board removed TS Anil as CEO.
Anil was replaced by Google veteran Diane Layfield in February, and has since been given a board seat following the demands of top investors. Monzo had initially planned for Anil to leave the board but remain with the company in an advisory capacity.
Anil announced in October that he would hand the reins of the company to new leadership. He framed this as a happy accident: Monzo had been looking for a new chief executive for its British business and found that Layfield was qualified to take the top job.
However, an earlier FT report said Anil was actually asked to leave by the board over concerns about the pace of its international expansion and as well as his commitment to remaining with the company after its expected initial public offering.
But this move led to backlash among some investors, who were surprised by the decision and believed Anil had performed well as CEO. The shareholder effort to remove Hoffman as chair ended in January after negotiations between the two sides, the FT added.
Hoffman said that while it was “tempting” to remain for his full nine-year term, it “feels like the natural time to depart as Monzo pursues its next phase of growth,” the report said.
The FT notes that this conflict revealed tensions around Monzo’s strategy as it looks to expand around the world and compete with Revolut, a much larger U.K. FinTech.
Monzo earlier this year decided to withdraw from the U.S. market, a move that – as PYMNTS wrote – is one that “brings the structural challenges of crossing borders into sharper focus.”
The company had a limited U.S. presence for several years, providing features such as joint accounts and savings tools aimed at digitally native customers.
“Recent reporting indicates that Monzo is now stepping away from that effort, choosing to concentrate on markets where it already has scale and regulatory footing,” PYMNTS added. “And the U.S. incumbents, large FinTechs and infrastructure providers already compete on similar terms.”
The post Monzo Chair Departs Following Last Year’s Shareholder Backlash appeared first on PYMNTS.com.